Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Kindergarten

I suppose I should start off with excuses about this blog being dead (oops). I don't have much. My laptop was dying a slow death and I have a new one now.

Kingsley has been in school for a month and a half now. I was very anxious about kindergarten. In Ontario, kids start Junior Kindergarten the year they turn four, followed by Senior Kindergarten the year they turn five. Both are optional and both are full days, all day. The majority of kids go.

We had a few preliminary meetings with the school through the spring. I was feeling pretty confident right up until the week before school when I discovered that staff had been shuffled and Kingsley would be having new teachers we did not know, a new principal we had not met, a new ECE we didn't know and whether he'd have an EA in the classroom and how much and who it would be was all unknown also. And new secretaries who would not tell me anything.

I may have panicked.

A lot.

Thankfully, the school VP stepped in and we were able to see the classroom, meet the teachers and get names for everyone else before the big day.

The Tuesday after Labour Day, I dropped Kingsley off for his first day of school. He was beyond excited. Like, angry-at-me-for-taking-so-many-stinkin-pictures excited. Begging-to-go-RIGHT-NOW excited. "See ya, Mom" and not-looking-back excited. He was just so ready for it.


The girls also had great first days. They were more anxious about who their teachers were and who would be in their classes, whether they'd be with friends. It all worked out!


Amazingly, there have been very few blips. He LOVES school. He is so disappointed by weekends, asks every morning if he can go to school. He loves to be there, loves his friends, loves the playtime. He doesn't love the school work part, his pre-printing skills are feeble attempts at best. Whether this is a lack of interest or a long history of taking his time to develop skills, I'm not sure.

As with preschool, Kingsley is blending in like every other kid. I went in and spoke to the class about spina bifida and Kingsley's wheelchair in the first week. They were completely unfazed, mostly wanting to discuss their various scars or differences. I also sent a letter home for all of the parents explaining briefly that Kingsley has spina bifida, what it is, that he is paralyzed but otherwise just like their kids. It went over really well with the families I have since spoken to.

So, things are going well here. School is a piece of cake! Who would've thought?

 he's SO MAD that I stopped them for one more picture!

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing. What a great idea to send a letter to the parents. Being open and honest and helping to educate all is so important. I'm learning that from you. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. About time you blogged. :P

    xo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can NOT believe he is in kindergarten already! When did that happen? Love the little uniforms (our school district doesn't require them but I kind of love the look!) and I'm so glad your letter to parents and talk with the class went well. Get ready to walk me through this in 3 years-- there will be crying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back!
    I love the idea of the letter! That's a great idea. I've love to see a copy of the letter

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad to see a new blog post!! we will be expecting more! A letter what a great idea!! I'm glad he's settled in and is loving it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails