Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Thomas the Train

Kingsley, like most kids his age it seems, has become infatuated with Thomas the Train, so it was an obvious choice for his costume this year. After the success with his pirate ship last year, I'll admit I was a little nervous. Fortunately for me, my cousin Natalie moved here last month to take a job at the big theatre here and she's in charge of props. She's crafty. ;)

We started with a box and a 'blueprint' as Rachel fondly called it. I tried drawing pictures of how I thought it could work.

my supplies in the top right: boxes; extra wide, black gorilla tape; red electrical tape; yellow electrical tape; blue spray paint; plumbing piece; and black spray paint that I didn't end up using

Second came cutting, which is extremely scientific and basically involves me dropping a box on Kingsley's head, taking it off, cutting, putting it back on, repeat, repeat, repeat until I realize the box is all wrong, toss the box aside and start again with a new box. I just cut space for the box to slide down over his wheelchair and rest on the various points along the side between his wheels and the chair. Then cut a bit out for his arms to reach the wheels easily.


Next came more technical work - tape. I bought this incredibly strong tape called Gorilla Tape. It makes duct tape look like stickers. I taped all the seams and bends and any point I thought might need reinforcing. This also makes it a tad weather resistant since we do live in Canada and there's a decent chance we may have rain or snow on Halloween.


Once taped, I spray painted it blue. And then painted it again because I'm a very uneven sprayer.


That's when Natalie stepped in and went to work turning a blue box into Thomas the Train.


She used electrical tape for his red lines and his yellow and red #1. We used more Gorilla Tape to make his neck (?? head??) and his bumper in the front, as well as his second set of wheels. His funnel was a random plumbing thing we found at Home Depot that was taped on with more Gorilla Tape and then stuffed with some fluff that Nat just happened to have lying around. Natalie drew his face on paper that we stuck to spare box scraps.


I had to fit his over the front of his wheelchair and leave the back open because of his casts and wheelchair modification in the front. Last year, the ship just dropped over top of him and was closed in the front and back, making it easy to lift him straight up and out. With his casts, there's no lifting him straight up. It tips forward off of his chair and I can get him out that way.


He is quite smitten with it. He had a Halloween party at his playgroup this morning and was so excited to drive Thomas around. For his actual costume, I tried to copy Thomas's drivers who wear blue suits and ties with a blue hat. I couldn't find a hat anywhere and a blue sweater (that he took off) and bow tie were the closest I could come to the rest.

If you have a kid on wheels and want more costume ideas or DIY instructions, take a look at:  http://wheelchaircostumes.blogspot.ca/

3 comments:

  1. i am just beyond impressed Jill! You are a rockstar through and through. No wonder where King gets his bad rocking skills. Love the costume and so happy to see that Kingsley is recovering nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. His costumes are so amazing! I had DH start looking at the pictures from once you'd started cutting and he was guessing what it might be, "race car? bulldozer?...bulldozer!" then when he saw it was Thomas he thought that was pretty cool. Great job and Kingsley looks so happy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails