Friday, October 11, 2013

Counting Down

I love count downs. Count downs to holidays. Count downs to Christmas. Count downs on the radio. Turns out, though, I hate count downs to surgery.

Kingsley's surgeries so far have been like this:

#1, back repair
Doctor: Congratulations, it's a son. I'm going to prep him for surgery now.

#2, shunt
Doctor: Remember that shunt I said he'll likely need? He needs it. I'm going to prep him for surgery now.

#3, decompression
Nurse: the doctor just looked at the images. He needs surgery. You've got less than a week to get things organized.

#4, detethering
Nurse: the doctor just looked at the images. He  needs surgery. You've got less than a week to get things organized.

#5, tendon release
Doctor: when do you want it? Five months? OK, see you in October.

Five months is far too long to sit around thinking about the worst things that could happen and all the ways that this could go badly. The last month has been the worst. Between Kingsley's endless stream of doctors appointments regarding his bowel fun, there has been the consult for surgery, pre-admit appointments, a urodynamics (which he did like a boss), OT appointments, PT appointments, SLP consults, preschool discussions, and finally, a tour of the hospital to desensitize Kingsley to what was going to be happening. It's been a lot to take in and I'm just drained from it all. Spina bifida's impact on our lives ebbs and flows, and lately it's flowing over my head.


I think the hardest part of all of this has been not knowing what will happen after the surgery. Word on the street is that it could go one extreme way or the other: either he will carry on as normal, but with casts or our lives will go into a dead stop for 4-6 weeks while he has the casts on. His PT does not think we will be able to modify his wheelchair to accommodate casts and so will have to use a loaner from the centre which I haven't seen, but has been described as a beastly thing. If he can't get around in the wheelchair, can't crawl, can't sit unsupported, and can't go in his stander, the poor kid will be immobile. We have requested a scooter board be made for him, but it's not ready yet. Another huge issue is how he's going to fit in a carseat and where his legs will go while he's in one. It's another thing we won't be able to work out until he has the casts on him. And of course, how heavy are these casts going to be??  Even if I get him in a carseat, will this modified wheelchair fit in our van without breaking my back?

I am looking forward to this being over. Not only because I'm beginning to dread the casts, but because I'm excited for when the casts are off and he is able to do more. I can barely get his AFO on his one foot now and hate putting him in his stander because I can't get his legs straight enough and I'm constantly worrying if I'm doing more harm than good.

And so, we count down the last few free days before surgery. It's a nice long 4-day weekend that we have to visit with family and just hang out. Tomorrow, we are going to a wedding, Sunday is Thanksgiving, and Monday we will spend just enjoying our time together. Tuesday at 8am, his surgery begins. Counting down...

4 comments:

  1. Praying it all goes smoothly! I suspect we'll be having tendon release on Mason. He can't get in HKAFOs, foot brace for his clubfeet, etc. The shunt revision does not seem to have fixed that so I don't know if they'll do his detethering next or try the tendon release. Blech.

    Casts are not fun. We only had those when Mason was a newborn, so he wasn't mobile anyway and didn't know better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend. I wish you didn't have to do THAT Countdown and could just countdown to Halloween instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we've been thinking of you guys. hope Kingsley is healing well and mama is okay :) i sure hope we can meet some day! XO, Ang and boys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting really sucks! And having to wait that long, I'd go crazy thinking about everything. Am just catching up, did not realize you had such a busy October. I've been offline for a while. I hope everything progressed well and that Kingsley is his usually great self!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails