Tuesday, August 27, 2013

MRI Number...?

I think today was Kingsley's eighth MRI, but I could be wrong. I've honestly lost track. They're just checking things out, for once. We don't have any obvious concerns, but neuro wanted a follow-up after last years virus, and to check the syrinx, the possible retethered cord, space for the Chiari, etc.

This was the first time I've talked to him about it before hand. The Pre-Admit Clinic gave us a print out of pictures to talk to kids about and give them a visual description of what would be happening. Last night, we chatted about it and I showed him the pictures. He started crying. He said he didn't want the mask, didn't want to go to sleep, didn't want to go to the hospital. I was able to talk him down a bit and let him know that I'd be there and I'd be with him when he went to sleep.

This morning, I opened his door and his first words were: "Be-tuz I don't want to have a nap and I'm scared of the mask!!" Oh, buddy. :(


He did amazing though, truly. He was scared. He cried when the nurse put his bracelets on and kept asking for chocolate pudding. We spent most of the morning snuggling and reading books. When it was time to go in, I carried him and he told me how scared he was again. I laid him down on the gurney and the anesthesiologist was so wonderful, talking to him and trying to keep him calm. When they put the mask on, I reminded him that this was just sleeping medicine and it was going to be okay. He just nodded, held my hand, breathed slowly, and drifted off to sleep.

Crush my heart. Three year-olds should not have to be this brave.

He woke up in a great mood, making the nurses just fall in love with him. We watched Curious George and shared a popsicle until he was allowed to go. While we were there, one of the nurses showed me his hospital file. It was about three inches deep. This kid is going to need his own shelf by the time he turns ten.

We get the results in one week.


5 comments:

  1. What a brave little man he was! Fingers crossed all will come back fine :) I'm the same - there's been that many shunt revisions/scans etc I've lost count!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw. :( Poor Kinger. I think I would have given him 10 of those chocolate puddings. I guess that's why you've never asked me to watch him, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave boy. It does break your heart sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last two procedures Sagan has had, we asked for versed (midazolam) in the pre-op room. It has been great with reducing the anxiety and fears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How brave of Kingsley! Sounds like he did great! I am in the process of catching up, but hope the results were good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails