Sunday, June 2, 2013

This is Where the Sidewalk Ends

Allow me a moment to whine. 

I have a whole other post planned about how there isn't all that much to do around here when you're rolling, but one of the biggest... I don't know what to call it... Struggles? Frustrations? Disappointments? It's my other backyard. 


Across the street from us is a water drain off thing which is basically a pond, a beautiful, peaceful, grassy, space with wildlife and wildflowers. There's also a ravine and a few pathways and so much to explore. Unless you are using a wheelchair. <insert sad face>

It's been a rough couple of months watching it all blossom from my window or front porch. I desperately want to take King over there to explore. The dilemma is that I can just now walk on uneven surfaces and I can just now start to carry his weight, but I cannot do both at the same time, not by a long shot. 


Today, we had a perfect spring morning, Jeff was home and I just grabbed Cordelia and left the house. It was awesome. We saw new little geese families, snails, singing birds taking baths, hawks soaring. We picked wild flowers and listened to the wind and the water lapping. 

It was so bittersweet. 


Usually, the restrictions that a wheelchair places on us don't bother me all that much. Today, they did. 

4 comments:

  1. It wasn't until Simeon came along that I noticed how much grass there is in the world-- and how much kids like to play in it. I wonder if there's anything like an "all terrain" wheelchair? Surely someone has made something like that. It's tough to have some much pretty space that can't be accessed. Glad you had a day to enjoy it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with this: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aQzg74TxPz0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaQzg74TxPz0 I want one sooooo bad!! The grass thing makes me sad too :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( Oh, that is totally disappointing. Those are the things that I just never thought about...that aren't so easy to adapt. :( He's going to neat his own little all terrain set of wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand. I, too, have a 3-year-old with spina bifida, and I just posted this on my blog:
    http://babyemmayoung.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-different-perspective.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails