Friday, April 26, 2013

Preschool

The girls both started preschool for two half days per week when they were 2.5-3 years old. We had planned on doing the same for Kingsley, but then faced two hurdles: 1. we were moving and things were chaotic, 2. I couldn't decide where to enroll him. Now that we've settled, it was my number 1 mission to make this happen for September.

It was slightly challenging finding the right preschool for Kingsley. I wanted something on the end of town we now live on (which ruled out the girls' preschool), it had to be accessible, and they had to want him there. I ended up picking a highly recommended one that I was familiar from having done a placement there waaaaaaay back when I was doing my undergrad a billion years ago. The staff was welcoming, they didn't hesitate when they found out King was on wheels and were already tossing out ideas on how to make the experience better for him when we went to visit. More importantly, after visiting for 5 minutes, Kingsley turned to me and said good-bye, essentially telling me to go away. ;)

Since then, I have had the very surreal experience of people talking to me about signing consent to share information forms, plans for transition meetings with all of this 'people', talks of idea sharing and consults... It makes me giggle a little bit. Once upon a time, I arranged endless transition meetings for parents and therapists, update meetings, consultations, report sharing. Now I'm on the other side of things and it's WEIRD. A kind of weird I'm going to have to get used to, I guess! :)

2 comments:

  1. That is so wonderful that Kingsley feels comfortable enough to bid you farewell on the visit! I bet he'll have a great time and do well. So glad you were able to find a preschool that welcomes him with open arms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful you found a great place! Madi is in a private preschool that is wonderful like that too. They did all kinds of modifications for her and fought over who got to have her!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails