Sunday, January 15, 2012

*TWO*

My sweet little boy turned two today.

TWO.

Two years ago he was born. I get so emotional when my children have birthdays. Remembering their births is so lovely, there just aren't words for how it feels to bring a child into the world. It's magical. Kingsley's birth was no exception, but since I've gone on and on about his birth day at various times, I will spare you today. ;)


I know it's kind of cheesy to say that I'm inspired by my own son, but I truly am. He doesn't do anything that any other kid doesn't do. He just goes about his days, his weeks, his year learning, trying, playing and developing. But when Kingsley does it, he's defying odds. 


I cannot even begin to count the number of times this year I have been reminded of the brilliant words my friend, Cassie said about her own son, Caleb: I've seen him do things I didn't think he would ever do. So many moments this year, I have seen Kingsley do things that amaze me. Things that I wasn't sure he would ever do. Things that if you told me one year ago today: this is the year Kingsley will do THIS, I would probably have doubted you.


This year, Kingsley showed us for the fourth time that he is a fighter. That he will bounce back. That he will continue to be resilient. He learnt to play. He learnt to hold his own cup. He learnt to hold a spoon (although, he did also learn to throw it instead of use it to eat. Baby steps). He learnt to eat. I forget that a year ago he was barely eating solid foods at all, nevermind finger foods, that he didn't even start eating solid food on a regular basis until the spring and that I still have a cupboard shelf full of baby food because he only just stopped eating it a couple of months ago. He learnt to communicate with us... in ways other than words, but he does get his point across! He learnt to sleep through the night - ALLELUIA!!  He learnt to roll over both ways (again). With support, he got up on his feet for the first time.


This year, Kingsley learnt to MOVE. His world grew exponentially at the end of the summer when he learnt to make his Bumbobile GO. And then his dynamic stander. And then his wheelchair. And then his body as he learnt to roll and twist and wiggle and finally crawl. Alongside all of the moving, Kingsley also learnt to sit. On his own, on the floor, with his hands up, playing, reaching, clapping, slipping into an Elmo's World coma.

It has been a big year for my little rockstar.


Yesterday, we had a little party to celebrate the big year that he has had. He was not that impressed. He cried, a lot. Covered his ears, his eyes, whined, and then finally accepted that no one was leaving and so joined in the festivities. What else are you going to do when you're already all dressed up, right?


Besides, there were presents. Can't be grouchy when there are presents. 


Right beside him, cheering him on every step of the way, were his two bestest friends and biggest fans:



We did it all over again today, because that's just what you do when you're two.




 Kingsley's second year was incredible. It was not without heartache, frustration, and impatience, but those things were so overwhelmed by the joy, excitement, and pride at the incredible kid Kingsley developed into this year.

I am so excited to see where he goes in this next year.

Happy Birthday, Kingsley!!

We love you so much!

13 comments:

  1. Jill this was absolutely one beautiful post. Happy 2nd Birthday Kingsley! When I first came upon your blog King was just 1 year. You were celebrating the milestones of his first year. When I think back to the growth Kingsley had, I am amazed, however not surprised. From reading your blog I know Kingsley has had the BEST, most supportive parents and 2 amazing cheerleaders right beside him every step of the way. A wonderful year for Kingsley and I know many more to come. Happy Birthday Kingsley and Happy Birthing Day Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That boy melts my heart. I love all the pics. Happy birthday Kingsley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday big guy!! LOVE the pictures! Those cupcakes are too cute and I love him in his stander :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, are you kidding me! That bow tie! BEST OUTFIT EVER!
    I am so so so proud of how far he has come this year! What a great little capture of it all here! YAY for Kingsley!
    Happy Birthing Day to you.....isn't your uterus twitching though? COME ON JILLSY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday sweet 2 year old boy!! I am in love with your sweet face and your beautiful birthday pictures! Here's to an amazing 3rd year full of defying the odds and making people smile. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love seeing him take big bites of cupcake! He is an amazing little two year old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!
    Oh I LOVE the bow tie!! And the elmo cookies - YUM!
    It's amazing the difference a year made, how much he's come in a year. And a whole new year for him to show off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those blue eyes get me EVERY time and you deserve a medal for those Elmo cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday sweet Kingsley. Loved all the pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Kingsley! You are a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got tears!! He's such an amazing little guy! I just love his smile and other expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was the perfect post to read on a cold rainy morning where I was feeling completely unmotivated. It put a smile on my face and if Kingsley can do all he can do, then I most certainly can make the most of the day I have ahead of me. Happy Birthday Kingsley.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking good Kingsley, may this year be even better than the last! Belated Happy Birthday! I love the Elmo cupcakes, they look great. From the look on his face, I would say he's got a real sweet tooth. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails