Sunday, January 8, 2012

Full of Awesome

Blogger ate my last post. It was a whole year review, but only half posted and then I have not had the motivation to redo it. I hate when stuff like that happens! I know, I know. Those of you who read it are hanging on, desperately waiting for the whole thing ;) One day.


I have a good reason for my blogger-slacking. Kingsley has been doing SO MUCH that I literally dread having to do posts for each and every amazing thing that comes up. It feels like everyday he springs something new on me.

So, here is my attempt to recap Kingsley's last 6 weeks or so.

He started crawling. Rachel started crawling at 7 months, Cordelia at 8 months, Kingsley at 23 months, but who's counting! ;) Actually, it caught me so off guard that I left him in the upstairs hall one day with the girls and answered the phone in my room. When I came back, the hallway was empty and I nearly keeled over in panic. He followed the girls down the hall and into Rachel's bedroom, a nice red rugburn developing on his pretty little bare knees. He was pretty proud of himself. It's a bit of a lopsided commando crawl. I had halfheartedly left up the babygate at the top of the stairs after Cordelia stopped needing it. I've never been so happy to use it!


Other big news... he got his wheelchair! This feels like it deserves it's own post, for sure, but here you are. Yay! It's harder for him to move around the house than his stander and Bumbobile, but he does love it. He can throw quite the tantrum if you dare try to steer him or get him to stop/go when he does not want to. Unlike Rachel and Cordelia whose biggest fear seems to be getting left behind in a store aisle, Kingsley takes off and couldn't give a care in the world as to where I am. The world is his playground. :)

I couldn't get a shot from the front. he won't sit still! 
I sacrificed my toilet paper roll just to get these

His upper body strength is getting a little bit ridiculous. He is doing feats of bravery that make my heart leap out of my throat. OK, so he is no Aaron Fotheringham, but in his own way he is becoming quite the daredevil. He has learnt to wheel up to things (like the fire place mantle), grab the edges and pull himself OUT OF HIS BUMBOBILE. What the heck! I mean, really. Consider that he has no functional use or feeling below his hips, the Bumbo is a deep, heavily supported seat, and you can kind of see why this both amazes and horrifies me. He has also pulled himself out of his bath seat by grabbing onto the side of the tub (I've watched him do this twice, so dumbfounded that I didn't think to intervene). Today after I had gotten him out of the bath, he decided to do chin ups on the side of it. Incredible.

action shot - he's up off his legs here, just holding on

Bedtime has also developed a few problems. He woke up one morning with two welt-like marks on his leg, one on the front at the top, one on the back at the bottom. Seems he had poked his leg through the bars of his crib and twisted for quite some time. We put the bumper pads on and he is slightly less impressed with this addition. To say that he hates them would be an understatement. He spends most of his nap trying to dispose of them. 

poor little guy in his cell...

What I love most about Kingsley learning these new things is the look on his face when he does it. It's like he KNOWS how awesome he is. His whole face lights up and his eyes twinkle with such a mischievous pleasure, I can do nothing but laugh and cheer.

15 comments:

  1. He crawls EXACTLY like Lewis did until like a month ago! Seriously. Even the same arm up, same arm down. Lewis is crawling a little bit more symmetrically now but it's crazy that they both crawl that goofy way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the KING CROWN on the bum! YAY Kinger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caleb crawled the exact same way! The King is way too cute. Not everyone can wear a crown on their toosh and make it look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I love the video of him crawling!! Doing a happy dance here! He definitely deserves his ROCKSTAR Status!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I forgot to mention how much I love the first picture of him! His smile is so amazing lights up the room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome to see his new things. Kingsley is such an inspiration for me with Ezra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! fantastic news! and love the video!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did nothing but laugh and cheer throughout this post. Thanks so much for sharing and YAY Kingsley... I have a feeling he's going to be impressing you well into the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the video! Caitlin started off like that too :) He is such a smart boy. It's so lovely to see how they don't need anything to entertain them when they have their wheelchairs/walkers - they just appreciate having some space to get around. Nevermind playgrounds, my caitlin loves nothing more than a big empty space so she can fly around in her walker. Can't wait to see what Kingsley does next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the bum crown!!
    That's so great that he's crawling! Nothing is more motivating than mommy being out of site and go chasing after sisters!
    I tried out a bunch of different knee pads if you want the info. I meant to do a post in the summertime but didn't get around to it.
    Do you think it might be time for a big boy bed? I was really surprised how easy Nick's transition was. (Just planting the seed).
    Sounds like an exciting new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! He sure is amazing! Keep up the great work Kingsley, it is so exciting to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love everything about this post!! Go Kingsley!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's THE CRAWL!! That first wonderful all-arm-strength crawl! Yay King! And I'm loving his artwork (and the bum crown!!! lol!!). ;) Congrats on the new wheels too! He's gonna be hard to catch now! He is suddenly soooooo big. I just don't know how to handle all our babies growing up! I swear mine was 23 months yesterday...now he's 2 and a half. Oh my. I'm just so happy for you guys and so so proud of the little king. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Couldn't ask for a better update! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how I missed this post! Must be my cluttered dashboard... I love that first picture. Could he be any cuter?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails