Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Differences

A couple weeks ago I got a facebook message that made me one happy Mama. My local Moksha yoga studio was adding Mom and Baby Yoga. Heaven.  Moksha studios are mostly for hot yoga, which I've been going to since before I was pregnant with Rachel, but our studio also has a non-heated room. I love our studio and the people there and I go into a little bit of a withdrawal phase when I get pregnant and have to stop going, so I was super psyched to go and with Kingsley!

... side note: I actually went to hot yoga through the first two months of my pregnancies with Rachel and Cordelia, but was so wrapped up with going back to work that I didn't go at all for weeks before Kinglsey was a little glimmer. One of the 'supposed' causes of SB is an increased internal body temperature around the time of the neural tube developing, which filled me with huge guilt until I pulled out my calendar and realized the dates didn't come close.

Anyway, my sweet mom agreed to take the girls Wednesday and off we went to our first yoga class. It was glorious. Oh, how I needed that class. It was a little overwhelming at the start, yoga seems to bring out a lot of emotions for me and being there sharing it with my little boy was a lot to take in. I'm such a nerd.

There were 5 boys in the class, plus the instructors son. They ranged in ages from 6 weeks to 8 months. King and I were between a 4.5 month old and a 2 month old. I spent a lot of time staring at the other boys. I know, it's my third child, I should be sort of familiar with normal by now but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how Kingsley is delayed in terms of his physical movement stuff. I get it now. I couldn't believe the movement these boys had in their legs. Ridiculous, right? Kingsley moves his arms like it's going out of style - just waving and flapping and grabbing. These boys did that with their legs. Their feet just kept going and going and kicking and flailing.  Kingsley moves his legs, but not with the same frequency and his feet don't flex and point like theirs did. He also isn't that hot with the tummy time. The 4.5 month old (16 days older than Kingsley - I asked ;)) was right up on his forearms.  I guess the girls were lousy at the tummy time stuff too, but everything is amplified when it comes to Kingsley. 

Now, aside from the legs and the tummy time, Kingsley appears (to me!) to be right on track. He follows toys and noises and is so bright! His face just lights up when you talk to him, full of smiles and goo's. He is a champion talker. Sometimes I catch Cordelia listening to him like she actually understands his babbling. Is that possible? LOL! He has even started with the 'Maaaamma!!' whining when he's tired. I love his little voice.

Tomorrow we go for his 4 month check up with the paediatrician. More shots, a weigh in to see how much my chubber is now, and all that other stuff. I'll see what she says about hitting the milestones.

3 comments:

  1. Chubber!
    Oh, that sounds like a great experience...even if you were scouting out the skills of the other boys there. I bet you had some great face to fact moments of bliss with your boy! Glad to hear that Kingsley is movin and shakin - to the beat of his own drummer! He's a smart boy, I just know it! Soon I will be able to see it! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go to a Babyville group with other babies and I try not to compare (but I do!) Those other babies rolling and standing! And Nickolas sitting in my lap watching everything.
    But it WILL COME. I try not to look at the dates of those milestones, just that he's progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a fun age for 'talking'. Tonight I was talking to my sister on the phone and her 4 month old was SO LOUD in the background - talking to her own reflection in a mirror lol. Videotape it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails